Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Hospital

Most of you have heard by now that we had what you could say a "weekend from hell." Kaylee's fever finally broke Saturday morning which gave us a glimpse of hope that whatever was wrong with her may finally be getting better. But, unfortunately after her fever broke new symptoms of what Dr. Rose thought could possibly be wrong with her started to appear. We called him late Saturday night and he said that we needed to head to Ogden first thing Sunday morning for more blood work and an EKG. This picture was taken after she had her blood taken. We were eating at the Subway in the hospital cafeteria waiting until it was time for her EKG. She was pretty proud of herself because she did a GREAT job. Dr. Rose met us at the hospital for her EKG. It took them about an hour and they did find that one of her arteries was a big large. After seeing this he came to the conclusion that she did have Kawasaki Syndrome and admitted her to the hospital for IVIG (meds through an iv to help protect her heart from being damaged).










Here we are taking a little rest while we waited for the nurses to come into our room and give Kaylee some benedryl and start her iv. The IVIG has a pretty high rate of allergic reactions so they gave her some benedryl before they even started her iv and gave it to her regularly throughout the night. She was not excited about having to stay the night there, we tried to make the best of it, but she will tell you that it wasn't fun at all (and both Shane and I would totally agree). The iv was one of the worst things ever. I can't handle things like that very well, so Shane gets to go in on all of that kind of stuff. They were gone for such a long time (over an hour) that I knew that something wasn't right. When she came back in she looked horrible. It broke my heart, and it made it a million times worse when Shane told me that they had to poke her 7 different times before they finally got the iv in. They tried 2 times in both arms, twice in her foot, and they finally got it in under her wrist. It took 3 different nurses. I could tell that Shane wasn't doing very well. Brittany and Bobby were there and I told Shane and Bobby to get out for a little while and go get some dinner somewhere and Britt and I would stay with Kaylee. Here is a picture of her after her iv.
After about a half hour, she started to feel slightly better and was ready to color in the coloring books that Britt and Bobby brought her. Shane was relieved to see her sitting up, smiling, and coloring when he got back. We ate some dinner and put in a movie. She was being monitored very closely for any possible allergic reaction to the medicine. Luckily she did really well and was done with the IVIG at about 9 the next morning. She wasn't very friendly with any of the nurses or doctors who came in, but who can blame her, right? Thanks Bobby and Brittany for coming and supporting Kaylee, Shane and me. It meant a lot having you there and having someone to talk to.









We made it through the night and were hopeful that we would be able to head home. She had to get another blood test, which showed that thing were going well and improving. After she got her iv out she went and checked out the play room that was right next to the room we were in. She was happy to be up and not attatched to anything. We were discharged and able to go home at about 10:30. We were so happy! She was wheeled to the car in a wagon and was given a blanket that someone had quilted and donated to the hospital. She loves it:) She is on a very high dose of aspirin for the next week and then depending on what her blood work shows next week will be cut way down. We are working very hard at trying not to make it upset her stomach. She takes 2 pills every 2 hours until she has had 16 of them (alot, I know)!









Thank you so much to all of you who were thinking and praying for us. We could not have done it without all of you. We do have to go back next week and then agian in six weeks for more blood tests and an EKG to make sure that everything is on track but for now we are so thankful to be home and getting better!

10 comments:

allison said...

Man, that does sound like the weekend from hell, I'm so sorry for you guys! I'm glad Kaylee is doing better and I hope it continues as well! We'll be thinking about ya!

Marsha said...

We are so glad you are doing better Kayleebug. Keep getting stronger and we will have our sleepover soon! We will celebrate! Love Nana and Papa

Feller said...

Hope everything is going Ok now Keep us updated. We will pray for her and your little family.

Cassie said...

poor girl! (and poor parents!) Glad she is doing well now.

Kristy & Miguel said...

I am so sorry to hear about poor little Kaylee. I hope you guys are doing ok. If you need anything please don't hesitate to call. Good luck Beating this thing!

Candy said...

Oh my goodness! That is so sad! I can only imagine what your little heart must have been going through to see Kaylee in so much pain and getting so poked! Poor sweet girl.
So now that they've determined that she has Kawasaki SYndrome (?), what do you do from here? Does she need surgery? Or does she have to take medicine? What is the next step?
Oh Beth, I'm so sorry for you, what a trial huh? hang in there and I'm glad to see that things are hopefully looking up!

Josh and Alayna said...

I am glad you are home. I hope she is recovering quickly! 7 times that is soo horrible. I can't imagine. I bet she was glad to see Brittany and Bobby. Hopefully you two can get some rest too.

Brooke Carroll said...

We hope everything gets better for her! Poor little girl...You guys will be in our prayers!

Bree said...

I am so glad she is doing better. What a trooper. What great parents. Hope she continues to recuperate quickly.

jonisill said...

I found you! Tiffany told me about this. How scary! I love Dr. Rose. He's wonderful. I hope everything is ok.