Monday, September 13, 2010

Simply Pathetic..........

Remember my post earlier this summer of us planing our garden? Well, here is what we were able to harvest after ALL summer. It is "simply pathetic." However, on a more positive note, the kids thought it was very cool being able to pick the green beans and tomatoes. We were able to cook and eat one serving of green beans, maybe even two if I get around to cooking the rest. We ate all of the corn we picked raw that same morning, and it was actually REALLY good! We decided that we should probably go ahead and "harvest" all that we could because we have been waking up to some serious frost the past couple of days. I did have one fairly good sized zucchini growing but something (rabbit perhaps) decided to taste test it while it was still in the garden and then decided that it really wasn't that great. Hey, I maybe could have gotten one loaf of zucchini bread from that sucker! We also had some pumpkins starting, but I will be more than shocked it they pull out of the sorry state that they are in right now. The kids planted some sunflowers that still might actually bloom! They are by far doing the best right now, but we are still waiting to see a flower. I really hope they do, for the kids sake;)

I found myself asking if it was even worth my time and my conclusion is ABSOLUTELY! I am not giving up just yet. I have to just take these hard lessons and tweek things a little more each year. I also do realize that I live in what has got to be one of the coldest places and quite frankly not the best climate for growing a garden. I am considering building a green house;) One thing is certain, I love being outside. I loved spending time building, tilling, planting, watering, weeding and yes, even harvesting. The kids enjoyed it as well. We enjoyed inspecting it and watching it grow all summer long, we just wish that it would have produced a little more. We will just try again next year!!
Harvesting Green Beans
Harvesting Corn
Tomatoes and Geen Bell Peppers
Sunflowers

3 comments:

allison said...

those little corns are cute! And the sunflowers look great! Sorry it was a miniscule harvest, but that means it can only get better from hear, right?

Marsha said...

Oh my heck, that corn is funny. Good job everybody - way to be self-sufficient! lol

Josh and Alayna said...

That is so not simple pathetic, you got some produce so its a start. We will be rooting for the sunflowers, that would be cool. Thanks for coming to the blessing and hanging out with us. we had a great time and hope you guys did too!